As borders open back up and travel resumes, I wish to share a Sicilian jewel – Taormina!
Growing up in Sicily, going to Taormina was a staple. Years later, it is still the best getaway on the island! Its super close to the Catania airport & easily accessible from the Calabria- Messina Ferry.
Since I’ve already shared a post on Taormina, if you haven’t yet done so, check it out! In this post, I’ll share my favorite things to do while in Taormina.
First off, I recommend staying at a hotel or a B&B in town for two reasons: convenience & access. You’ll want to wake up early and catch the sunrise or stay out all night. Not to mention, the views from your hotel/ home most likely will be gorgeous!
I love AirBnB – join today with my link and get $35 off your first trip! https://www.airbnb.com/c/chiaram7840?referral_share_id=5866e2e2-71ef-499c-ab84-db02a6682a62
Last time, we stayed at Hotel Villa Diodoro for a few days. Below are a few shots taken from our suite and around the property!
Ok, time to spill the beans! Here are my recommendations on things to do in Taormina:
- This is a must! Visit the Ancient Greek theatre of Taormina -there are tours and even special events. You can pre-purchase or buy a ticket on site. There even are English tour guides. The biggest recommendation is to visit first thing in the morning to avoid crowds.
- Stroll through the Villa Comunale. This is the perfect place to picnic or clear your mind. The best part, its free! I love visiting parks after lunch when most people are taking an afternoon nap.
- Stroll through Piazza IX Aprile– this is the location where all the ‘famous’ insta picts are most likely taken.
- Grab a gelato or an Aperol Spritz! AHHH La Dolce Vita at its finest!
- Shop! Taormina has some really cute & unique boutiques. BUT beware of tourist traps! Go off the beaten path to find unique stores. After Covid- everyone will be in need of business, this is the perfect way to help boost the economy!
- Walk around the rest of Taormina. Get out of Piazza IX Aprile and explore! You’ll be amazed at the cute little spots you’ll find!
Hope this inspires you to buy a ticket to Sicily! If you do, I’d love to know!
Cheers & thanks for reading!