While Covid has altered travel plans in 2020, it has also given us an opportunity to travel local and get to know our backyards better. We recently spent the day in New York City to check out Hudson Yards. As Manhattan’s newest neighborhood, Hudson Yards resides on the west side of the city facing the Hudson River. It has quickly become one of the trendiest neighborhoods in the city – a new “cultural center” as described on their website. You can find shops, restaurants, residences, entertainment and art with a chic twist. Its unique experiences and architecture is one of the top attractions in NYC.
We checked out the Edge and the Vessel while in Hudson Yards. The Edge is an incredible view deck and the Vessel is a cool outdoor staircase/building (pictured below). Both are great covid friendly activities where social distancing can be easily maintained (not to mention the various safety precautions set in place). Be sure to check out the covid procedures here before visiting.
- The Edge is the highest outdoor sky deck in the Western Hemisphere.
- There is a glass floor where you can see 100 stories down.
- Each corner of the deck has angled glass walls where you can lean out over the city.
- Lastly, but certainly not least, should you get thirsty, a fully stocked bar is available on the deck, so you can enjoy a drink with a view!
- This spiral case is comprised of 154 intricately interconnecting flights of stairs.
- The artwork was imagined by Thomas Heatherwick and Heatherwick Studio.
- It’s meant to be a point where people can enjoy new perspectives of the city from different heights, angles and vantage points.
- Should you have trouble climbing the stairs, there is an elevator in the building that runs every 15 minutes.
Tickets for The Edge and Vessel can be reserved online here. Tickets are reasonably priced for The Edge observation deck. There is no additional cost to climb the Vessel, you just have to reserve tickets in advance.
Although it was overcast the day we visited, the views were still incredible! Exploring Hudson Yards is highly recommended, if you are looking to have a cool experience that won’t break the bank, this is it! Going up the Edge and the Vessel will give you fantastic views of Manhattan and its surrounding areas, not to mention beautiful photos. All the employees we came across were professional and exemplified the highest level of customer service and hospitality! I cannot recommend visiting enough!
Cheers & thanks for reading!
One Comment Add yours